Saturday, January 22, 2011

a twisty tie engagement ring speaks volumes.

As many of you know I've been proposed to with a twisty tie by one of my dearest friends...  This was of course all in jest, but the story that inspired the proposal is actually pretty relevant.
I was at a summer camp one year, and two of the counselors were so madly in love that it was obvious to even ten year olds...  They had been engaged for a while, and they were so brilliantly happy they practically glowed.  Their happiness radiated.  They were dirt poor, but quite possibly the happiest couple I've ever met in my life.  He proposed to her with a twisty tie ring that he made.  It wasn't showy.  It wasn't elegant.  It was a twisty tie.  Just like the ones you use to keep your bread fresh.  Just a twisty tie.
She wasn't upset by this humble proposal.  In fact I'm fairly certain she didn't even care.  She just wanted to be with him.  He was enough.  His love was enough.
This is an interesting parallel.  There's a christian song called "open up the sky" it's a pretty legit song.  I like it.  It has lyrics speaking of God that say: "We don't want blessings we want you"  The woman with the twisty tie ring wasn't concerned with what her fiance could offer her.  She just wanted to be with him.
I want to be like that.  I don't want to be so concerned with the blessings God can and will potentially give me.  I just want to be with him.  I want to be in His presence.  Yes, our God delights in giving good gifts to his children, but do you seek the giver or the gift.
Seek the giver.   You'll be transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment